Thu. May 30th, 2024

Search underway for missing Torres Strait teenager

Samantha Parker By Samantha Parker May15,2024
A search has begun in the Torres Strait for a missing 16-year-old.

Queensland Police confirmed to NITV that a land, air and sea search and rescue operation is underway for the missing teenager near Saibai Island.

It’s believed the 16-year-old tried to swim to Saibai with a 13-year-old boy after their dinghy broke down overnight.
Police have said the boy swam to shore and raised the alarm. Emergency Services responded soon after, around 4 am on Thursday.
It’s believed the rain and wet weather prevented the teenager from reaching the shore. They remain missing.
ABC reported that Queensland Police Torres Strait Acting Inspector Anthony Moynihan wasn’t certain the boat had been located, believing it broke down 500 metres north of Saibai.
There have been increased sightings of crocodiles in the region, but Police have not confirmed if a crocodile has been involved in the incident.
However the Department of Environment and Science says it has been made aware of the incident.

Police have urged anyone with information to contact them immediately.

Samantha Parker

By Samantha Parker

Samantha is a seasoned journalist with a passion for uncovering the truth behind the headlines. With years of experience in investigative reporting, she has covered a wide range of topics including politics, crime, and entertainment. Her in-depth analysis and commitment to factual accuracy make her a respected voice in the field of journalism.

Related Post

One thought on “Search underway for missing Torres Strait teenager”
  1. My heart goes out to the missing teenager and their family. I hope they are found safe and sound soon. The authorities must do everything they can to locate them quickly. Let’s all keep a positive thought during this difficult time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *