N.M. mother convicted after 6-month-old baby died in hotel room ‘littered with drug paraphernalia’

Tyler Mitchell By Tyler Mitchell Jun8,2024

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (TCD) — A mother has been convicted in the abuse and death of one of her 6-month-old twins, who died in a room of a hotel where she worked.

The Bernalillo County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday, May 21, that a jury found Gloria Tesillo guilty of first-degree child abuse resulting in death and third-degree child abuse. The jury deliberated for less than 30 minutes before reaching the verdict.

According to prosecutors, Tesillo worked at a Days Inn and stayed there with her 6-month-old twins and their father. On July 16, 2023, Tesillo reportedly returned to her room, where one of the twins was unresponsive.

Someone alerted an officer nearby, and first responders attempted lifesaving measures, but the victim was pronounced dead, KOB-TV reports. The hotel room was reportedly “littered with drug paraphernalia and smelled like fentanyl.”

According to KOB, officials noticed drug residue within the babies’ reach, as well as a “straw pipe” in a car seat and “black tar residue” all over the floor.

The Office of the Medical Investigator later determined the baby died of “the toxic effect of meth.”

According to the district attorney’s office, the baby’s father told investigators he was watching the twins, and he admitted to using fentanyl before passing out. The man reportedly awoke to one of the twins dead.

Prosecutors said investigators analyzed a hair follicle on the surviving twin that tested positive for cocaine, fentanyl, and other drugs.

Tyler Mitchell

By Tyler Mitchell

Tyler is a renowned journalist with years of experience covering a wide range of topics including politics, entertainment, and technology. His insightful analysis and compelling storytelling have made him a trusted source for breaking news and expert commentary.

Related Post

One thought on “N.M. mother convicted after 6-month-old baby died in hotel room ‘littered with drug paraphernalia’”
  1. It’s heartbreaking to hear about cases like this. Parents are supposed to protect and care for their children, not expose them to dangerous substances. This is a tragic reminder of the importance of ensuring a safe environment for children.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *