Hamas commander killed in West Bank clash with Israeli forces

Tyler Mitchell By Tyler Mitchell Jun14,2024

Hamas has said that one of its commanders in the occupied West Bank has been killed in a clash with Israeli forces.

In a statement released late on Monday, Hamas said Mohammed Jaber Abdo was killed along with three other fighters in a village near Ramallah.

It said Abdo had spent 20 years in Israeli prisons before he lost his life.

A joint statement by the Israeli army and police earlier on Monday said undercover forces had tracked down a suspect wanted in an attack on a nearby Jewish settlement.

According to the statement, the man was hiding in a compound with three other suspects and forces opened fire when they tried to run them over with a car and flee. It also said weapons were found in the car.

It comes as the Israeli military said four soldiers died in an explosion in the city of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip.

Israeli media, citing unnamed security officials, reported that the soldiers were killed on Monday when explosives they were using to clear a building were triggered prematurely, causing it to collapse, killing four soldiers and wounding 11.

The Hamas militant group said it had booby-trapped the building and attacked the soldiers with mortar rounds after the explosion.

The military targeted the building because they believed there was a Hamas operative inside who was involved in the 2006 kidnapping of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, who was held in Gaza for five years, according to Israeli media.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the UN Security Council’s vote in favour of a Gaza ceasefire plan made it “as clear as it possibly could be” that the world supports the US-backed proposal to end the fighting.

He spoke to reporters in Tel Aviv on Tuesday after meeting with Israeli officials.

Mr Blinken said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had “reaffirmed his commitment to the proposal” when they met late on Monday.

He said: “Everyone’s vote is in, except for one vote, and that’s Hamas.”

The proposal, announced by President Joe Biden last month, calls for a three-phase plan in which Hamas would release the rest of the hostages in exchange for a lasting ceasefire and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.

The group is still holding around 120 hostages, a third of whom are believed to be dead.

Mr Biden presented it as an Israeli proposal and urged Hamas to accept it.

But Netanyahu has publicly disputed key aspects of it, saying Israel won’t end the war without destroying Hamas and returning all the hostages.

Tyler Mitchell

By Tyler Mitchell

Tyler is a renowned journalist with years of experience covering a wide range of topics including politics, entertainment, and technology. His insightful analysis and compelling storytelling have made him a trusted source for breaking news and expert commentary.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *