Mon. Jun 17th, 2024

Domestic violence accused to lose access to guns in wake of Perth double murders

Tyler Mitchell By Tyler Mitchell Jun1,2024
Key Points
  • WA gun owners accused of family violence will automatically lose their weapons under tough new proposed laws.
  • It comes after a Perth man gunned down his ex-wife’s friend and her daughter in a double murder last week.
  • Premier Roger Cook wants the legislation passed by parliament’s winter break at the end of June.
People who are formally accused of family violence in Western Australia will be stripped of their firearms under proposed legal changes.
Premier Roger Cook announced on Sunday that the update was part of a wider plan to toughen the state’s firearm laws.

“We want to keep women safe. We want to make sure that we have a precautionary approach and that safety is our number one priority,” Cook said.

“As a result of that these new laws will require the police to mandatorily seize guns from someone who is subject to a formal complaint in relation to domestic violence.
“Now many people will say these are too tough (but) we believe the principal aim should be to keep people safe.”
The announcement comes after a last week.
A man in a blue suit and purple tie.

Premier Roger Cook said the state government is open to further expanding its gun laws as the investigation into the Floreat murders continues. Source: AAP

Mark Bombara killed Jenny Petelczyc and her 18-year-old daughter Gretl Petelczyc in their suburban Floreat home, before taking his own life.

Bombara believed his ex-wife had been staying at the Floreat house.
His daughter, Ariel Bombara, claimed WA police ignored repeated warnings her father was dangerous and had several guns.

An upcoming internal police investigation will look at the handling of interactions with the daughter and ex-wife of Bombara, who had fled “out of fear of their lives”.

Bombara said their pleas for help “were repeatedly ignored” and they had been “repeatedly failed” by police.
However, WA Police Commissioner Col Blanch rejected accusations the force did not act after the women approached it.
“To say nothing was done is wrong. A lot was done,” he told ABC Radio earlier this week.
Cook said he wants the at the end of June.
“I want these laws passed as a matter of priority. I want them through the parliament as soon as possible,” Cook said.
He said the state government is open to further expanding its gun laws as the investigation into the Floreat murders continues.
If you or someone you know is impacted by family and domestic violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732, or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.

The Men’s Referral Service, operated by No to Violence, can be contacted on 1300 766 491.

Tyler Mitchell

By Tyler Mitchell

Tyler is a renowned journalist with years of experience covering a wide range of topics including politics, entertainment, and technology. His insightful analysis and compelling storytelling have made him a trusted source for breaking news and expert commentary.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *